Wednesday, March 15, 2006

"Brokeback Mountain" Author Slams Oscar Award Loss; Angry Rant in British Newspaper: So What?

The author of "Brokeback Mountain" slammed the Academy Awards for choosing "Crash" over the movie version of her book, saying that voters were "out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days but also out of touch with their own segregated city."

Which city? Which culture is she referring to? The one she doesn't even live in? Ms. Wyoming herself?

Her rant was published in the British Guardian newspaper. She went after Hollywood, the Academy Awards, Lionsgate Films (the company that released "Crash", which she labeled "Trash"), and everyone who thought that "Crash" was a superior movie. She also insulted the audience inside of Kodak Theater, LA itself, and everyone she could think of.

Here's what her 1,000+ word rant was trying to say: WAAAAAAAAH!!

She forgot to mention that the Academy Awards wasn't voting on her short story. They voted on the MOVIE, which she had nothing to do with. Here's how the author (Annie Proulx) responded to an Associated Press telephone interview on the movie:

AP: How did you feel about seeing it on the big screen?

Proulx: It was really quite a shock because I had had nothing to do with the film. So for 18 months, I had no idea what was happening. I had no idea if it was going to be good or frightful or scary, if it was going to be terribly lost or sentimentalized or what. When I saw it in September, I was astonished. The thing that happened while I was writing the story eight years ago is that from thinking so much about the characters and putting so much time into them, they became embedded in my consciousness. They became as real to me as real, walk-around, breathe-oxygen people. It took a long time to get these characters out of my head so I could get on with work. Then when I saw the film, they came rushing back. It was extraordinary—just wham—they were with me again.

So she ought to quit her crying. It was her story, but definitely not her movie.

I didn't see either film, but I'm enjoying watching Hollywood and the media squirm over the repercussions of the Academy DARING to vote for "Crash."

No comments: