Monday, September 12, 2016

If National Anthem is Going to Be Used to Further a Paid Athlete’s Political Agenda, Stop Playing It at Sporting Events

I’m not a fan of people abusing the national anthem to further their own political agenda, nor am I a fan of the news media even bothering to cover the story.

It occurs to me that if the media had covered the original protest once, then let it fade that this “protest” would have also faded, like most of the others do.  But the media became part of the story, again, which they’re not supposed to do on purpose and hit the “zoom” button on the cameras to focus attention on one or two players and away from the rest of their fellow players, teams and games.

They did the same thing when Tim Tebow was praying during football games.  The media hit the zoom button and focused in on one player for the sole purpose of ridiculing Tim for his religious belief and practices.   The media coverage was very offensive, especially when Tebow’s team lost a game here or there. 

I don’t watch sports to get my politics.  I watch sports to take a break from all the political garbage that’s on TV and prefer not to see politics during a sporting event.  I would imagine that if I had paid for expensive seats to an NFL game that I wouldn’t be happy to have politics turn up there.

If the National Anthem is not going to be done respectfully, don’t play it at all.   Keep the political garbage out of pro sports too.  We get enough of that already without having to pay for it too.

No comments: