Sunday, October 08, 2006

Lettuce Pulled in Several States: Contamination From Same Source as Contaminated Spinich

It appears I wasn't overreacting when I wrote back on September 27th that I wasn't eating any vegetables coming from Salinas Valley, California. Irrigation water there was found to have been heavily contaminated by E. coli bacteria.

Investigators now believe that lettuce is also contaminated and have begun taking preliminary steps to pull it off the shelves in several states.

There's no telling when this will end, so my refusing to eat vegetables from that region of the country will continue. Unfortunately, Meijer and Wal-Mart import all of their salad vegetables from Salinas, and they are the two major grocery stores in my area. I've switched over to local farmers for my salad stuff for now.

No comments: