Saturday, October 28, 2017

Church Removing Memorial to President Washington Isn’t a Big Deal: That’s Their Business

I’ve considered the controversy involving the George Washington and Robert E. Lee memorials from the Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia, and don’t think it’s a big deal.   I don’t come from a church that honors political and military figures in the chapel area with memorials to the left and right of the altar.  I’m accustomed to seeing religious items there.

I’m not inclined to comment further, with the exception of the following observation:

I see that the church itself has the good sense not to be hanging a Black Lives Matter banner outside while discussing removing a memorial to President Washington.  That would have been a huge lighting rod for controversy.

Let them do what they want with their church.

No comments: