Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Transcript of "Shove It" Incident

The following is from USA Today on the "Shove It" thingy with Teresa Heinz-Kerry:

In a speech to Pennsylvania delegates Sunday night, Teresa Heinz Kerry said there needed to be a change in American politics.

"We need to turn back some of the creeping, un-Pennsylvanian and sometimes un-American traits that are coming into some of our politics," she said.

Afterward, she had this exchange with Colin McNickle, editorial page editor of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:


McNickle: (inaudible) Un-American activity? You mentioned un-American?
Heinz Kerry: No, I did not say that.
McNickle: What did you mean?
Heinz Kerry: I did not say that (pointing finger at reporter).
McNickle: Well, what did you say?
Heinz Kerry: I did not say that.
McNickle: I am just asking what did you say.
Heinz Kerry: Why are you putting those words in my mouth?
McNickle: I thought you said something about being un-American?
Heinz Kerry: No I did not say that.
Heinz Kerry turns away, then returns a few moments later.
Heinz Kerry: Are you from the Tribune-Review?
McNickle: Yes, I am.
Heinz Kerry: Of course (turns away quickly).
McNickle: Come here (tapping her on the elbow).
Heinz Kerry: (Turns back to reporter) Understandable. You said something I didn't say — now shove it!

Sources: The Associated Press, ABC News

-------

Here's my translation:

What!!  What!!  What!!  Huh??!  What!!  Well, duh!!  Shove it! 

Why is the press spending so much time on this?  She obviously didn't want to talk to the reporter but didn't want to be misquoted.  That's the story.  At least she didn't use the "f" word. Now that would have been news!

No comments: